Saturday, September 25, 2010
My Girlfriend is a Gumiho: Initial Impressions@8:15 PM

Cha Dae Woong accidentally releases a gumiho, a legendary fox with nine tails that eats the livers of humans. When he finds out that she is a gumiho, he ends up doing crazy things to prevent the girl from eating his liver.




Super interesting plotline no? Not the typical plotline by any means. And it's written by the Hong Sisters, whom you will soon find that I have a particular bias for. (I've watched all of their dramas up to date, and they are the authors of my favorite drama of all time, My Girl)

Anyway. Initial impressions actually is not all that "initial" considering I'm 6 episodes in (Like... 3/8ths of the way done), but I haven't actually really had the time to blog recently, nor the motivation. Anyway first up, plotline.

Actually, when you read the plotline it's interesting, but doesn't make much sense at all. But it is definitely a good plotline, it's like You're Beautiful all over again, because it's something that hasn't been done yet. I mean amnesia, incest, adultery and even sports; they've all been done! It's frustrating when I can predict the whole entire drama from watching the first episode. Not that I don't have my own predictions for My Girlfriend is a Gumiho, but it's just fun to see what happens in the drama, because it all hasn't been done yet.

I thought it would be an overall crack filled drama, where the Miho becomes human at the end and Daewoong and Miho fall in love with each other. But nope, Hong Sisters throw in the plot twister of... Ooh, since Daewoong swallowed Miho's bead for her for 100 days... He's gonna die. But if he spits it out, Miho's gonna die. What to do? 어떡해?





Anyway. Characters. 

First up, Daewoong, played by Lee Seung Gi



Personal bias, but I don't really like Lee Seung Gi that much to begin with. But Daewoong's character is hilarious, and impossible not to at least somewhat like him. Despite the fact he's supposed to be "cowardly" a lot of the time, he isn't. Especially that part where he leaves Miho on the boat. Actually, that part was adorable, but didn't make much sense at all. Hye In was the one who made him late for his audition not Miho what does she have to do with anything? Why did he ditch her? It didn't make much sense, but the part made me cry a little. Good job Hong Sisters on that one. I rarely cry during dramas, especially so early on (Freaking ep 3 only!). The Fox Rain scene really made me cry though. But to make up for it, the part where Daewoong holds Miho so she can feel the Fox Bead was really adorable though. So overall Daewoong's character isn't too bad, he's stupid, and somewhat cruel to Miho but some of it is really adorable.

Secondly, Miho, played by Shin Min Ah



I didn't know what to expect from Shin Min Ah to begin with actually, she's a fairly new actor, with not much of an image. In fact, the director said that was the reason why they ended up choosing her. She could make an image instead of fitting into one that other have put out for her. That and her personality could play the playful Gumiho's part. Miho is one of my favorite characters, she's just so simple. And she's so playful and naive and trusting. She's not SUPER pretty, she's pretty cute though. But her character in the drama is just so endearing. I love it every time she says, "Woong ah! Woong ah!" it's so adorable! And she has a lot of really adorable actions in the story, and she eats everything and is like "Ahh... 맛있어" It's adorable. Her smile is really contagious and her laugh too. Overall, she's one of my favorite characters. On a side note. She also has really adorable dimples.

Last, but not least. (Definitely not least) My. Favorite. Favorite. Guy. Ever. Dongjoo, played by the talented, gorgeous, Miyavi-like, No Min Woo!






I love No Min Woo for starters, he was gorgeous in The Trax, he's still gorgeous now that he got short hair and is in MGIAG. I swear, on his first screen, I was already dying and fanning myself. I love No Min Woo he's gonna be my favorite for a while. He's pretty good, he beat down all the other Korean obsessions, Hongki, Kimbum, Junki and just all the other ones. I love No Min Woo I stalked him all the way to his cyworld. I love him. In the drama he's really pretty. "내가 그를 좋아". His character in the drama is the typical "smart" character to offset the really really stupid character, which is Daewoong in this drama. And he's the character that helps the main girl character, but then falls in love with her. The part where he's in the supermarket with her was so awesome. And when Miho found him and they talked. He was so cool. But the part where Miho leaves Dongjoo's house and he looks so heartbroken was so sad. He was so freaking nice to her, he even bought meat for her. So sad. But yeah, he's my favorite. I squeal a little bit every single time he goes on the screen. And that is the reason why his voice, his theme from the drama is my background music. Even though I thought Park Hong's Look at Me was a lot more fitting for my blog. Oh well. I like Trap.

On a side note, my annotations on the side characters.

Chapoong aka Daewoong's grandfather. He's just made of hilarity. He makes the funniest comments on everything. I love this old grandpa. He's just hilarious. He's hilarious in every drama he's in. And he plays similar characters in each drama, but at least he plays them well. I love the part where he's like, "I'M SO PROUD OF MY DAEWOONG!" and then Miho is like, "I hear someone talking about you Woong yah.". And then Daewoong's like, "What are they saying?" Miho says "That they're proud of you." and then Daewoong says, "Well then, it must not be me."

So funny.

And I love Cha Minsook aka Daewoong's aunt, and I love Ban Dohong (not to mention his name sounds like 晩ご飯 which means lunch in Japanese xD) but they are soooooooooo funny. Their relationship is full of crack, and it reminds me of Gongchan's aunt and uncle from My Girl. Their relationship was hilarious too. I also love the random Cantonese music that always plays in the background whenever Dohong is in the screen. So funny.

And I know, I've been neglecting Sun Nyeo who's played by T-ara's Hyomin, honestly... she doesn't do much. So there's not much to mention. And she's also kinda irritating. I like the other friend better, Byungsoo he's so hilarious. He seems to always be some random dude in every drama. But he fits the "best friend" role.

One other person I've been neglecting, Hye In who's played by Park Soo Jin I honestly just... do not like her. She's annoying. Irritating. Stupid. Dumb. Mean. And she's not really pretty at all. For people who don't know her. If you've watched Boys Before Flowers she was Kim Bum's first love in that one. DUMB. DUMB DUMB DUMB.

Anyway... So far I like the drama, it's not as good as You're Beautiful or My Girl per say. But definitely one of the better dramas. It has been getting better ratings than Playful Kiss despite all the Hyunjoong fangirls and hype that should be giving it higher viewer ship. I thank you for the people who actually know good drama vs drama in which they find really crappy actors who have really big fanbases and the storyline is overdone to watch. I thank you. I'm obviously team MGIAG rather than team PK. But it's all good. I don't hate you people who are watching PK. You guys are all just fangirls. I understand. xD

I do really really wish that Dongjoo would end up with Miho though... It's saddening.

The couple that is meant to be. ):
But I must admit to Daewoong and Miho's good chemistry though. Sigh. The important part to a good drama, they have it. But... Minwoo *tear*

Anyway. My drama predictions. (Which usually aren't too far off)

Rather than Daewoong dying, Miho will die instead and then a couple years later, Daewoong will find a girl who looks EXACTLY like Miho for the ending. 

Anyway~ You guys should watch it! Hoi hoi!



 Rei ☆

Labels: ,


Music