Wednesday, October 3, 2012
Nice Guy Never Seen Before: Episode 1@8:00 PM


Ahh! My God this drama is so good. I love it so much. Anyway. Click under the cut for impressions, characters, recap and ratings for this wonderful pilot episode.




Initial Impressions - 

God this drama is crazy. It's taking me on an emotional rollercoaster ride. 12 minutes in and I already want to kill people. Park Si Yeon seriously just makes me want to kill her so bad. Product of good acting... Yay! Although I'm taking a semi-hiatus in kdrama, I had to watch this drama because my love Song Joong Ki is in it, and with the cast it has so much potential to be awesome. I typically don't watch melos at all, but I made an exception for this. So without further ado, let's get on with episode 1!

The Characters - 

The Leads


Kang Ma Ru, played by Song Joong Ki, a promising med student turned gigolo. His character begins from bright with high aspirations and with infinite faithfulness toward his girlfriend Jae Hee. He is betrayed by her and takes the fall for killing a man, five years later he is now a gigolo who tricks girls without emotion. He plays the game well, and is still quite bitter about his past ( I mean who wouldn't be? I would've killed that bitch). He's a character you sympathize with and despite his "uncaring" nature, he still has some soft spots aka his sister Choco. 


Han Jae Hee, played by Park Si Yeon, or rather I just refer her to her as "That XX!!!!!!!!!!" she is originally a news junior reporter from the "gutters" with high aspirations that Ma Ru is in love with and has a relationship with. She kills a man and Ma Ru takes the fall for her whereas she goes on to marry Eun Gi's father, a rich CEO and lives a life of comfort away from the "gutters". All I can really say about her character is that I hate her with every ounce of my being as she is a terrible bitch that says all the wrong things and if I could I would strangle her through my computer screen every single time she comes on the screen. I just want to kill her. Desperately. She's so hateable. I despise her.


Seo Eun Gi, played by Moon Chae Won, is in short, a freaking BAMF. She is the daughter of a rich CEO and has a high education and position in the business world despite being very young. She has some sort of illness that apparently later results in amnesia (typical kdrama trademark right here). She's kind of a bitch, but in a good kind of way as in she does what she likes and gets what she wants. All good. I kinda thought she was a brat at first, but she's growing on me. Better her than Han Jae Hee

The Minor Characters

Basically I'm only going to go over minor characters that I like. Cause everyone else is like... ehh whatever. Although I do like this whole cast. Very, very, very much. 


Park Joon Ha, played by Lee Sang Yeob, so far we don't know anything about him, but I like him already. From what I can judge from my amazing kdrama judging skills he's going to be that nice guy, sentimental character that this drama desperately needs. And he's supposedly "gay" (??? I highly doubt this, considering the look [or lack thereof] he gives Eun Gi when she's only in a towel) I don't think he's gay at all. Infact, I think he's gonna be Eun Gi's love interest. So yay! Rooting for you. I like you Lawyer Park


Park Jae Gil, played by Lee Gwang Soo, yay for comic relief! He's Ma Ru's friend, who doesn't have that much luck with the ladies (for obvious reasons). He's essentially the opposite of Ma Ru he's dumb, and funny and has a conscience of sorts. He's just amusing. From what I can tell though (from the correlation charts) he's going to be Choco's love interest. Yay. 


Kang Cho Go ( or just Choco as I'm going to mostly refer to her), played by Lee Yoo Bi, who's a new face to me... yay! And everyone else too. I'm a big fan of rookie actors, as in real rookie actors not I-am-an-idol-but-I'm-going-to-ruin-this-drama-by-terrible-acting actors. She seems pretty sweet from what I can tell so far. And she plays the role of Ma Ru's sister or "half-sister" according to dramawiki (guess that'll kick in later) cause what's a kdrama without some complicated family relations? I already have high hopes for her since she played a pretty heartbreaking scene already in episode 1. 

Okay. So I'm just gonna say screw everyone else for now since obviously they didn't appear yet, or catch my eye yet in the first episode. ON WITH THE RECAP!

Recap - 


So the drama actually starts out kind of happy, as Kang Ma Ru is in the hospital and is spending his time as a med student doing a rotational. We are introduced to Han Jae Hee as well as he sees her on a TV screen in the hospital and he has this -squee- adorable smile. "My ajumma is causing trouble again," he says. And man, he has no effing clue. Cause this clearly does not last (it lasts like 12 minutes. WTF. I expected like at LEAST 2 episodes of happiness.) But no. This drama goes dark, REAL FAST. 


But before that, there is a child in the hospital he needs to attend to. He asks the doctor to ask questions, and he ends up with this. Cue, child actor cameo from the kid from Ojakagyo Brothers yay! He correctly diagnoses the child, but then is immediately shut down by the doctor (who later apologizes after realizing he is correct). And then Ma Ru heads on home to his sister Choco


Who is on the floor, passed out when he returns. He panics and wakes her up and tells her "We're going to the hospital!". Clearly not, because then he gets a call from his noona, Han Jae Hee. She's panic stricken and crazed over the phone and begs him to come to her. Choco heart-wrenchingly asks him not to leave her, and that she'll die if he does. He presses the chocolate bar he brought back for her into her hands and tells her to count to 500 and he'll be back before she finishes. And he leaves. Clearly, this whole drama could've been avoided, and that bitch could have just gone to jail and went and died or something if he didn't go. But alas, the show has to go on. 


After Ma Ru gets to Jae Hee he finds her on the ground in shock, and a man lying with a pool of blood around him. The man is dead. "I didn't kill him," she says. Fat chance. He asks her to turn herself in, and this sends her into hysteria. She goes into a crazed fit, trying to kill herself, about not wanting to return to "the gutters" and that she'd rather die instead, she can't live without her dream of becoming an anchor. And Ma Ru asks her, "Can't I be the reason? Can't a guy like me be a reason for you to live?" He calms her down a bit, and she finally makes the phone call to the police station. But as she does, she stutters and can't speak properly. He stops her. 


He takes the phone and starts wiping the room down. "I killed him," he says. DON'T DO IT. DON'T DO IT. DON'T DO IT GOD DAMMIT. But he does, he tells her never to look back and that he'll take the fall for her. He doesn't have to be a doctor, but she will die without her dream of becoming an anchor. I ALREADY SAID. DON'T DO IT GOD DAMMIT. AGHHH. 


And now we meet Seo Eun Gi, who I repeat, is a freaking BAMF. She's already having a verbal smack down with this guy from the company. He's gonna go away, whether he likes it or not. She also has the Tokyo Drift-esque pissed off lady driving skills I wish I had. And upon reaching her home. Aha! What do we see? It's none other than Han Jae Hee meeting up with Eun Gi's dear daddy handing him a package of some sort... ahh so it was all planned. "You have no idea what I did to the man as precious as my life," she says as she's doing this. Again. Clearly you don't either. Bitch. 


Commence, jumping five years into the future after Ma Ru's prison sentence ( I have no idea how he explained murder away, or who the hell only gets five years for murder). He's with some woman, and he is scarily without emotion as he's with her. The woman he's with is a gold digger, he hands her money and tells her he doesn't have any more to give her. But the woman has truly fallen for him and tells him she's sorry. Skill, right there. 


We jump to Lawyer Park watching Eun Gi sleep, she's ill and he's about to wipe her forehead with a handkerchief  but then she wakes up and immediately starts assaulting him with accusations and questions. She's right down to business and is honestly kind of a jerk to him. Poor Joon Ha. She gets up and goes to take a shower. She comes back out of the bathroom in a towel to further instruct him on what to do. And during this whole time he averts his eyes from her. At the end of all this... 


She says, "You're gay... right?" And us viewers are thinking just that last part. .... RIGHT? (More like, YEAH RIGHT.) But none the less she'll carry his secret to her grave. (awfully kind of her, she just previously threatened to "bite off his head")


Eun Gi then goes to settle business, a "Japanese" woman who had a complaint against the cosmetics from her company. Turns out, she's not really Japanese, and she didn't actually get messed up skin cause of the product. She was working for their opponent company. And Eun Gi gets rid of the problem just like that. (MMPH. BAMF. I love her. She grows on me.)


And then after Eun Gi walks out, we see Ma Ru and gold digger woman having a kissing session under a tree. Only Ma Ru's not all that into it. Well then.


Aaaaaaaaaaand... we pan back to Eun Gi and now Jae Hee, we find out Jae Hee is Eun Gi's step-mom. Ooh... Again, what's a kdrama without some family complications. Jae Hee asks to make sure her dad and the company are gone. "Cut the act," she says. Revealing that she doesn't like this step-mom at all. Or her son for that matter. They're leeches that just latch on to whoever they need at the time. (OOH. HOW MUCH I LOVE YOU RIGHT NOW. JUST STRANGLE THAT DAMN BITCH). Yeah, go eat shit Jae Hee


We see Jae Gil sobbing along the bridge and Ma Ru walks up, holding an account book. Ahh... so he was with that gold digger doing a good deed for his friend. He tells him to take back his money, and put the rest into Choco's account. A good friend and a good brother. -applause- 


Then all of a sudden everyone's on the plane back to Korea. A hilarious moment ensues as a woman is checking out Ma Ru. However, Jae Gil attempts to discourage her, writing to her that Ma Ru is a pervert, player and cancer to all women... what a nice way to treat your friend that just helped you! And he advertises himself as innocent youth, awesomely cute and a free single. Yeah. Whatever. He goes up to her and tries to get her to give him her number. Oop. Big man in black clothing walks up and she writes on her hand "Boyfriend. Gangster."


Ma Ru then gets up to use the restroom and a woman comes out of it. And completely falls onto him. And he's just like Again? Another one? Yup. Just too good. You get all the girls. He says something hilarious along the lines of, "I'd be more than willing to do it, but we're in a public place right now..." But the woman is truly sick as he pulls her off of him we see that it's Eun Gi! She falls into his arms then he sets her on the ground. Then goes into the bathroom, but not before checking her pulse. (AHA. He was a med student remember?) 


He walks out of the bathroom and back to his seat. But the situation seems pretty severe as the flight attendants keep announcing for anyone who is a doctor to go to business class and help out. This goes by for quite a while, Ma Ru ignores this, but Jae Gil keeps urging him to go. Jae Gil then says that Choco would've been dead if all people were like him. If he has been helped, he should help too. Ma Ru finally gets up and starts heading for the front cabins. "I knew it, Choco always works for you," says Jae Gil


Ma Ru begins getting to work checking Eun Gi's pulse and heartbeat and declares that it is quite a severe situation and asks for the guardian. And then... OH... it's you. Jae Hee appears. He's in shock and adopts a hurt look in his eyes. He asks accusatory questions as he's helping Eun Gi. "What is your relation to her? Unless you don't trust me as a doctor." "I'm her mother." Ouch. That stings. He begins getting the fluid and air out of her lungs. Eun Gi coughs out blood and Jae Hee freaks out and stops Ma Ru "Stop it! You're not even a doctor." 


Ooh... She fucks up. And Ma Ru stares at her with eyes that say And who the hell's fault is that?

-----------------------------------------

Aaaaaaaaaand... the episode pretty much ends right here.

God, it was such a good pilot episode. And it really got the ball rolling with this drama. There may have been a lot less fluff and happy than what I anticipated. But it works for this drama. Very flawless acting on all the actor's parts. Each character is complex and multifaceted... It's so wonderful. So my enjoyability/quality rating is...

10/10

Leaving you with some classic Gwang Soo gifs... cause he's awesome. And he's hilarious. And he's the bright and shining morning sun of comedy in this production. 




I guess some of it is my personal bias for Song Joong Ki in my eyes he can do no wrong. And also in my eyes, anyone that does anything remotely bad to him deserves to die. Therefore, I will hate Park Si Yeon for the whole duration of this drama. I will hate her so much she dies... figuratively. Anyway, quality drama. Quality melo. I could actually get into this whole melo stuff, if all melos were like this. (and if all of them had Song Joong Ki)




Rei 

PS: As a retracting of my comment from the post right below this one (Architecture 101) that movie is actually great. It grew on me after I thought about it some more and decided I loved it. So although my enjoyability at the time was 8.5... it is now a 9... :) 

Labels: , , ,


Music